7.14.2011

Black Bean Brownies - No, really, they're GOOD!

While they sound completely random and probably a bit unappetizing, I gave this one a go and they were GOOD!  I found the recipe on DiseaseProof.com and tweaked it just a bit.

Black Bean Brownies

2 cups pitted dates, chopped (I maybe used a bit more than this - added until I thought the batter tasted right)
1 ¼ cup unsweetened applesauce
1 (15 oz.) can of salt-free black beans, drained and rinsed
¾ cup whole wheat flour (I used spelt flour)
½ cup dark cocoa powder (I used cacao powder)
1 large handful of sunflower seeds or 1 T. ground flaxseed
2 t. vanilla
1 t. baking soda

I also added in a ¼ cup finely shredded coconut just 'cause I had it.  Next time, I might put a banana in there, I was just unfortunately out.

Put the first six ingredients in a food processor. Turn it on and then gradually add the 2 cups of chopped dates, a few at a time until blended. Add the flour and continue to mix until everything is well blended.  Spread into a 13” x 9” pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes.

I put them in a muffin pan instead because I'd like to freeze some to pull out when I'm short on prepared food for the munchkin.  :)

And confession... I haven't been offering Silver as much of these as I have been eating myself.  As a tired, nursin' mama, I gotta have my chocolate fix.  :)





P.S. I meant to buy carob powder instead of the cacao.  After I used it I realized it wasn't what I thought it was... haha.  The joys of learning new cooking things.  I have never used either of them, but found the differences between the two to be pretty interesting.  I think we will be going with carob in the future because it's a "safer" choice.  It's broken down really well on KHolistic Nutrition.

2 comments:

  1. Hello Rhiannon,
    I am always on the look out for healthy recipes. This one looks perfect to feed my family a healthy plus yummy snack. Can you taste the black beans?
    Smiles, Paula

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey paula,
    i couldn't taste the black beans although my husband did say they tasted "healthy". :) he also said they reminded him a bit of vitatop muffins (which i LOVE, although he doesn't, which is okay because that means more for me :)

    ReplyDelete